SUMMARY: When using a selection rectangle in Visio 2010, select objects even if the rectangle does not completely surround them.
When trying to select multiple shapes in a Microsoft Visio 2010 diagram by creating a selection rectangle, you might find the process tricky as Visio requires you to completely surround each shape for it to be added to the selection. This can especially be true if you are editing a diagram on a laptop and using a touchpad / trackpad or other non-mouse pointing device.
By making a simple tweak, you can add objects to the selection by surrounding only part of them with a selection rectangle. While this may cause inadvertent selections in some cases, you might find the ease in selecting a large group of objects to more than make up for that in the long run.Selecting multiple objects in a Visio diagram by only partially surrounding them with a selection rectangle
1. Select the "File" tab in the Ribbon.
2. The Microsoft Office Backstage View appears. Click the "Options" button.
3. The "Visio Options" dialog box appears. Click "Advanced" in the left pane.
4. Underneath "Editing options", check the "Select shapes partially within area" box.
5. Click "OK" on the bottom-right of the dialog box to close it.
Print This TipGet E-Mail When New Tips are OnlineReturn to the Microsoft Visio 2010 page.